Thursday 11 April 2013

Mobile Suit Gundam, Odaiba, Tokyo

    I finally caught up with the surprisingly mobile life-size RX-78-2 Mobile Suit Gundam, now stationed at Odaiba in front of Daiba City.  It's 18 meters tall (59 feet), weighs 35 tons and is 1-1 scale, built to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the anime series, started in 1979.  It was originally constructed for the theme park attraction Gundam Crisis, and punters could originally complete a series of missions to access the cockpit (if successful) where they were shown a special Gundam-related video.  I would much prefer to operate the mecha myself, rather than watching some video, but one suspects that, unfortunately, it's not a fully operational Gundam.  Sadly. 
    The Gundam went walkabouts (for real?) to Shizuoka City for a year, then ended up in its present location in Odaiba.  I don't believe that the cockpit is accessible, but I'd be pleased to be corrected on that one.  At its feet is another Gundam Cafe (the original is located in Akihabara), and a Gundam gift shop.  There is also apparently the Gundam Front Tokyo attraction on the 6th floor of the Daiba City Mall, which I missed.  
    Now, it seems that the life-size Gundam was scheduled to finish at the end of March 2013.  Any confirmation on this?  I'm glad I went now!  Where will it end up next?  In orbit?  Do that!

    (Personally, I'm more of a Neon Genesis Evangelion fan, and am waiting on a life-size version of one of those beasties to pop up.)







 Sakura Gundam



 50 points of light light up, and steam-looking mist erupts from 14 parts while stirring theme music plays, and the head looks around and up.

 The Gundam Cafe, Odaiba



My images do not belong to the Public Domain. All material in this portfolio is owned and © copyrighted by Peter Pascoe (Doctor Pedro). Any reproduction, modification, publication, transmission, transfer, or exploitation of any of the content, for personal or commercial use, whether in whole or in part, without written permission from myself is prohibited by law. All rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment